Saturday, July 24, 2021

Great Greyhawk Campaign: Playtest Modules

After the original adventures in Castle Greyhawk and the wilderness, when the World of Greyhawk had been published, play moved on to be mostly playtesting of modules for publication, from Village of Hommlet, to Temple of Elemental Evil, Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, Against the Giants, to Into the Depths of the Earth, as described separately. The campaign never finished, with Gary being booted out of TSR and losing the rights to the world he had created. 

He also published the "tournament modules" Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth and Tomb of Horrors -- at least the latter was also adventured in by his group.

The old AD&D modules are best played with the system for which they were intended. Having some skill usage and abilities outside of the PC classes will broaden the scope for the DM and the players alike. [35]

I would put in an module's location wherever it suited the campaign at the time...mainly near where the PC party was. [35]

Of course the ones with which I am really familiar are those I wrote or co-designed. Of those, the ones I most enjoyed DMing were G1-3. D1-3, S3, and T1 and Temple of Elemental Evil...although I must say that running The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, Dungeonland, anf Isle of the Ape were fun for me if not uniformly enjoyed by the players :eek: All the others fall into a second place, including the ToH :lol: #6104

In modules I authored I created and named the characters for player use. This was done without reference to any existing PCs. Actually, I made the characters as if I would want to play them personally, then stuck them with rather questionable names for the sheer delight of being able to do that. I suspect it was a case of over-reaction to seeing so many really purile and stupid PCs names over the years...and I include my own PC fighter Yrag in that lot [35]

D&D Basic Set Exampel Dungeon (Tower of Zenopus)

J. Eric Holmes did design the sample dungeon in the first D&D Basic Set. [35]

The Tower' [of Zenopus] was Eric's...possibly with input from his son who was a young teenager back then. [35]

Find all the detail about Gary's edits to the original manuscript at Zenopus Archives

B2 Keep on the Borderlands

I believe this is the only one that was not adventured in by his original group. 

Many DMs contactd TSR stating that their adventure material was lacking, asking that we publish modules that they could use. If course we had to have a beginner's module for the D&D Basic Set... [35]

The B2 module was written to introduce newbies to the wonders of D&D adventuring. It is not "ecologically correct," but it is fun and entertaining, packed full of new and different challenges. Just between you and me, it makes as much sense as most things in the D&D game such as massive flying dragons that breathe various deadly things. Those who swallow the camel of the entire concept, then strain at gnats of particular monster or situation seem to be be losing much of the basis for playing. However, that sort of thing happens as one becomes familiar with the fanciful and begin to qualify the experience by comparison to reality. As you note, modules for more experienced players have more rationalization for setting and encounters.
The short answer is, if you enjoy DMing the KEEP ON THE BORDERLANDS, then why not use it? If the players question anything, make up something on the spot to answer the challenge #1671

[B modules other than B1, B2] To be blunt, most of those places never existed in my campaign world :wink: There was no need for them as I had no problem creating new adventure material for those that played in my campaign. [35]

DMG Example Dungeon 

The example you note was created especially for the DMG and was not a part of the GH campaign. Wherever possible I kept the two separate so as to have the large group playing in the campaign getting new material. #1996

I believe the story here is more complicated. There is some fantastic sleuth-work that shows suprising similarities between the DMG Dungeon and the Moathouse Dungeon. Likely the original Moathouse dungeon was the progenitor for both the published version and for this map.

Village of Hommlet, Temple of Elemental Evil, Stoink and the freeing of Zuggtmoy



I have DMed for so many people that after so much time has passed since running adventures in the Villiags' and environs, I'm quite unable to recall the many details of those events. I do not usually make noted of gaming sessions, save for correcting the working draft of the scenario of when doing campaign reports--that I have little time for or inclination to labor over. 
 [35]

The village and main temple areas were carefully mapped before I began adventure sessions in the area. The random generation was used mainly in developing the land around the village and some of the side areas surrounding the main rooms I had done for the temple dungeons.
As a side note, the random tables worked quite well, but they took too long. I found that it was easier and quicker for me to just bash ahead as usual and put in whatever I liked at the moment. #1793

I play-tested the VoH, ToEE, and the unpublished, lost Bandit City of Stoink with a large group of players including my Son Luke and Skip Williams. It was the base for a whole new campaign I started  [35]

Along with the Village of Hommlet module, Temple of Elemental Evil was what I planned as part of an ongoing demi-campaign series, something regarding Stoink to be the third, and then wherever my own group's play led for a concluding offering. #5672

My group spent a lot of time with adventures in Nulb and Stoink. That's another reason why I didn'd add more dungeon levels to the Temple...no need, as dungeon crawling was not paramount #6506

The Moathouse was subsumed as being built by a local lord some decades before the ToEE came into existance. #8683

After a lot of adventuring fun in Hommlet, and a foray into Nulb, the team went into the ToEE, explored, fought, withdrew, and came back again repeatedly. Robilar went in alone, smashed some magically shut gates with a pillar, and freed Zuggtmoy. Scenario over. #2749

When the WoG was completed, I decided to start a new campaign based on Oerth rather than continue using my generally undetailed parallel earth setting. Thus I created the VoH, ToEE, Nulb and Stoink for nearby town adventures. As I had the whole envisioned from the start, there was a good deal of continuity in the end products. the Temple was meant to be the dungeon crawl base replacing Castle Greyhawk, and more levels would have been added, but... 
When Robilar freed Zuggtmoy, I pretty well scrapped the idea of using it for ongoing adventures for my group, vowing to get back to finishing it eventually. As I was not able to do much DMing thereafter, that never happened, so Frank browbeat me into having him complete the unfinished ms. for the ToEE. Of course, that did not have the added levels, but it was complete and in order.
Frank followed my initial material, understands that I write with mainly critical details only so as to encourage the DM to make the work his own. #4698

To cut to the chase, his possession of the orb is not general knowledge to the leaders of the Temple--only the general location of the object inside the place. Falrinth is as you describe him, self-interested and not particularly devoted to the aims of those who are in charge of the place. [35]

Lolth never made any appearances, but Zuggtmoy did. When Robilar freed her (yes, he again loosed another deital figure) she was grateful, took him off to her layer of the Abyss to be one of her favored servants... Robilar, and he was a veteran adventurer at this time, was not a happy camper then. #374

The Demoness Queen of Fungi was not so clever, Robilar was brash. He tossed a pillar through the door sealing Zuggtmoy into the chamber in the ToEE. She got a look at the handsome adventurer, noted his evil aura, and as a reward for freeing her carried him off to the Abyss as her body servant. I did no go into details there, but eventually Robilar convinced her of the imcompatability of a lawful evil servant in her realm, so she sent his back to the PMP.  #5451

Rob was rather upset when his main PC was likewise treated, Robilar's orc henchman Quij, made a poncho out of the Flying Carpet he was guarding due to the long wait and cold nights, and eventual seige of his castle as word got out that Robilar had freed the evil from the Temple of EE... #5453

As for the Temple of Elemental Evil, Zuggtmoy is unkillable. she can be set free or sent back to the Abyss, but the PCs can not destroy her. #5599

No need for me to look at any other's take on the Demoness Queen of Fungi, the Zyggtmoy I created is the ONLY true exposition IMO. That is the depiction presented in the ToEE, of course #4838

WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Actually the muse strick, so I devised the darkest evil entity I could envision, then devised the supposed tomb scenario to see how players would have their PCs react to it. Only a few felt the strangeness of the place, the sadness evoked by the loss of horrific evil. I did indeed control the art direction of that module. #5457

The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun was done with as much melodrama and pathos as I could muster for a rotter such as I envisaged that one to be. A few DMs really appreciate the mood of the module, its underlying implications. I specifically selected the unusual art to enhance the "different" aspect of the work. I say all that for your benefit when perusing the material. #4411

Of course The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun reflects my DMing:D #1250

The vile evil of Tharizdun is such that the adventurers must be comprimised to some extent in order to gain any real material reward from his temple. the truly benign party that refuses to yield thus to gain riches should be rewarded by special XPs. Likely I should have stated that, but when I wrote the module I was still making assumptions regarding the perspicacity of the vast majority of DMs that would use the adventure material...as if they could read my mind :\ #4432

S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth

Just a typo there. My original spelling was Tsojcanth, a name I made up to sound exotic even in the WoG context. #8702

I invited Rob to co-write the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth with me, after a couple of my PCs had adventured in his similarly mapped area. He declined, so I created a different map from that which he had made, and devised original encounters as well. #6138

G1-3 Aainst the Giants

As a case in point, when I did the "Giants" series, I began with only the hill giants fort, but as that developed, the concept of a larger adventure came, so that by the time I had finished G1, the springboards for G2 and G3 were well in mind, and the whole of the underworld to follow as well. #1698

What has astonished me is than no group I know of has ever attemptet of impersonate young giants in the G1 adventure. I set it up so that could be done and would likely be effective too... #4965

By the time I wrote the G and D series modules, the group of players I DMed for had altered considerably from that of the early 70s, although Ernie and Rob and Terry Kuntz were still there. The adventures in the two series were indeed a part of the overall campaign, and a number of the PCs involved belonged to TSR employees, including Tim Kask and James Ward. We played in the TSR building a good deal after regular working hours.
The successful handling of the G and D series didn't really have any impact on the campaign, save to beef up the PCs. When the lads managed to penetrate all the way to the Vault of the Drow it was most disheartening to me. They took one look around and made haste to get away, so they never did much in the way of wreaking havoc down there, let alone run into Lolth or the Elder Elemental God. #2308

G3

[King Snurre near the Entrance] Thinking back I most likely did it so as to offer a really major challenge to the adventuring party early on. While I didn't mention it, when I DMed the scenario I had King Snurre move to another area and set up an ambush with his flunkies when the PCs returned loaded for bear to get him. I recall Jim Ward's PC used a magic jar spell to take over the queen, and the party were nost eager to get poor little Obmi #5360

The dragon was there as a part of the muscle of the fire giants--for attack and defense. It was not a part of a singular plot, but there as a general member of the overall one. #5660

Someone suggesting hit-and-run teleport tactics or deporting to the etheral or astral plane to rest:

If you apply the danger of use of the teleport spell, it is likely that there will be some dangerous times for the PCs. also, after a second raid such as you describe the giants would surely get help not otherwise mentioned in the module, say some objects that dispel magic. [35]
Those on the Ethereal Plane are able to see the PMP vaguely, as if thtough a thick haze or several layers of gauze. Assume vision extends out to a maximum of 30 feet, although movement of large objects could be noted at 60 feet distance. That you suggest for using the Ethereal Plane as a resting place is chancy, for many potent monsters can become ethereal and do so, traveling the place. If PCs playing in my campaign tried the tactics you suggest, they'd end up getting little rest and fighting a lot of opponents more dangerous than giants. When a few dismembered carcasses of PCs come flopping out of the Ethereal Plane I suspect the concensus will be that it is not a viable means to cheap success in quests of heroic sort. [35]

Indeed the Astral Plane is similar to the Ethereal, albeit there are even worse perils to risk when hazarding that plane other than for direct travel to a destination. (In short, it is up to the DM to make certain that the players do not get away by cheap tricks, the louts!) [35]

S1 Tomb of Horrors

A chap named Alan Lucien gave me the inspiration...as I believe I stated in my original ms. for the module.  [35]

[Tournament Modules] There was little change from the campaign version of the modules in the published versions--added pregen characters is about all as I recall. #5776

The Tomb of Horrors was inspired by material sent to me by Alan Lucien, and I believe I have credited him in this regard, but it has been so many years I can not recall where and how. Anyway...
The place was designed to test the mettle of the best players, stretch their ability to the maximum. That it did, while nor a few PCs belonging to very capable players bit the proverbial dust. Those players with real cran came back and kept trying until their PCs suceeded or else the DM grew weary of running the module. As I have mentioned, in my group only Rob Kuntz managed to get to the end of the advbenture, Robilar losing all of his orc flunkies at the onset, in the initial passage. When he found the tomb of the demi-lich Robilar scooped all the magical treasures he could into his bag of holding and ran off leaving the demi-lich hanginf, as it were. Tenser retreated from the perilous place, as did Terik.
Of course Mordenkainen never entered the place, but had he, the wily wizard would surely have come with his most potent associates, and brought plenty of powerful magic along. As with most other dedicated players, I too am averse to losing my favirite and long-luved PC. #5480

The material in the ToH was for narrative purposes, color. I didn't wish to make the demi-lich an ongoing antagonist, for I thought it far too limited, so no details beyond those given in the module were developed. that sort of treatment also allows for free creative rein if one wishes to further exploit the subject [35]

Only the most veteran of my group attempted to explore the ToH with their regular PCs. Son Ernie and Terry Kuntz retreated when they discovered how difficult and deadly a dungeon their PC faced. Rob Kuntz with PC Robilar made it to the end, losing some dozen or so orc troops along the initial route, and when faced with the rising skull of the demi-lich did the logical thing for his character--scoooped up the treasure and retreated in utmost haste. Note all of those forays were by single PCs, Robilar accompanied by flunkies.
A number of large parties of PCs made the journey into the tomb, some with many survivors, and two I know of defeated the demi-lich. The most innovative solution was by a tournament group that used the reverse end of the scepter to touch the crown gained with it in the throne room. When the skull arose one of the PCs popped the crown on it, another used the scepter, and the demi-lich was powder. Russ Stambaugh was their DM, and when he told me what they had managed to pull off, I awarded them first place hands down.
The adventure is meant to be deadly, kill off all the unwary PCs, and make the survivors paranoid. It is best played with characters created for the adventure, not the regulars in a campaign, as the ToH is unforgiving and often results in TPK. #2003

I didn't actually do much in the way of background, leaving that open so that when I brought Acererak into some yarn before he became a lich, after a demi-lich, I would have more creative freedom. #5110

I initially said Ace-RE-rak, then changed it to A-CER-er-AK because it sounded more exotic and threatening to me  [35]

As far as I am concerned, there is absolutely no connection between Acererak and Vecna! #8770

I never allow summoning of monsters in the ToH, so the party that enters can not be reinforced along the way. #6948

Robilar did venture into the ToH with a dozen of his orc bodyguards, but the lot were wasted in the entrance passage--I placed the pit traps knowing Rob's thinking and so got an orc in each and every one. Robilar tossed the last of them into the demon-mouth sphere of anhilation, then ventured on alone throughout the remainder of the module, got to the end, and as I said before, looted the treasure and fled without confronting the demi-lich. #4462

Robilar did that deed, but he then beat feet, no teleporting spell involved. IIRR, he had replaced his lost Boots of Flying with Boots of Speed :uhoh: I was quite unprepared for such a dirty trick #7749

As son Ernie has said, when Tenser saw the nature of the tomb he simply retired from it not caring to risk life and limb for whatever treasure it might hold. Anyway, as far as I am comncerned, Acererak needed some great source of magical negative energy to return to regular lich state, be able to manage such a return to his former "glory." #7747

Ernie playing Tenser didn't go for the situation and cleared out. Rob playing Robilar made it to the end, grabbed all the loot, and didn't bother fighting the demi-lich--not much profit in that by his estimation, not with all the treasure in his bag of holding.  #4422

A good example is the Origins I dungeon -- incidentally drawn from a similar tomb designed by Alac Lucion. Very few of the players who engaged in the tournament were able to think out the problems. In a test run, Rob Kuntz, in his game persona as a 13th level (evil) lord went through the entire tomb in four hours actual time. He took 14 orcs and a couple of low-level flunkies with him. He lost all the party, but his character personally looted the lich's tomb and escaped with the goodies. [46]

The original typewriter pages of the tournament module for ToH still exist and can be compared to the published module, for confirming Gary's recollection.

D1-3 The Underdark

My concept was that Eclavdra was aiming at dominance of the Drow through using the EEG to replace Lolth. she, as the chief priestess of the elemental deity would then be the mistress of all. The final scenario was to have been one in which the adventurers got involved in the battle between the evil entities and made it so that both lost and were tossed back to their own planes, relatively powerless in the Mundane world for some time to come.  #862

All the material in the D series was done exclusively by me, illustrations aside, of course. The additional areas of the underworld were sketchily detailed, but I have no idea where those notes have ended up:(
My players were not much delighted with the thought of continuing adventures there, so my efforts came to no useful end. My next plan was to detail the city or Erelheicindlu, but the lads absolutely refused to take their characters into the place #1349

They felt the risks weren't worth the possible rewards. It was much the same in regards to adventuring on the Isle of the Ape where they calculated that the likelihood of PC death was too great for any possible gain thet might come from successfully managing the whole adventure. In sum I believe that they also didn't want to have to do all the roleplaying necessary to deal with the potent evil creatures they'd encounter regularly in the Drow city. #1364

The Sunless Sea was indeed meant to serve as a place for further subterranean adventuring, of course. Always leave some room for that sort of thing, obvious or concealed in the setting #862

To discover the temple the party was meant to do some big-time roleplay by entering the city of Erelheicindlu and mixing in with all the Evil NPCS and monsters there, ask questions, mabe even take a prisoner and question that one. Of course, many of the inhabitants of the Vault would know where the fane was located, so the DM could decide how to manage the matter--bribery, threat, whatever. #832

Oddly enough my group was not enamoured with the Underdark, especially the actual Vault of the Drow. I had hoped to make things rough with the vampire and succubus couple but they immediately became suspicious and alert when they saw the beautiful moonlit garden. #7128

I had hoped to get to the Elder Elemental god in a sequel to the ToEE, but... #860

I wrote the D Series after the G ones, and both were set in the Flanaess, for by that time I had finished the world setting. It was easier for me to use it, what with the complete map and all #4351

As for other large-scale maps, I was tinkering with some, developing ideas for more adventures in the depths, but none of my players, and that includes the most able with very potent PCs much cared to explore there, so I scrapped the plan. #263

Well, Iggwilv could be anywhere it seemed a good place for her to have living or other sort of quarters :eek: If the party were sufficiently strong, they could indeed have an encounter with that lovely lady... #4690

D3 Vault of the Drow

The G series of modules were aimed at testing PCs of mid level, and the D series were for higher level characters. The Drow city of Erelhicindlu was meant to be a scary place for 16th - 18th level PCs.
Outside of the Vault of the Drow, I have run very few high-level adventures. All of my players retired their PCs from general play when those characters reached the mid-teens in level. As most groups are of lower level, having a potent character with a party of lesser sort was not much fun.
I never used the tarrasque (Francois did in his games, also demi-deities). When wishing to challenge high-level PCs I use a combination of potent monsters, including demons or devils and tricks and traps. The encounter with the vampire and succubus in module D3 is a good example of that. #1975

You are the first one outside my family and confidants to note the relationship between Belgos the vampire and Bela Lugosi. [35]

If I could revisit something, two adventures spring to mind immediately--the city of Erelheicindlu in THE VAULT OF THE DROW and the Elder Elemental God and what might lie below the ToEE. #49

Although I did my best to get them to adventure in the city, none of them were willing to take the risks required. So they avoided the place as assiduously as they did the Isle of the Ape and my favorite critter, Oonga. [35]

We did have PC in the place during a tournament we played at one of the small cons TSR ran in the winter, spring, and autumn; and one group did roam around a bit in Erelheicinlu without mishap. Another party were spotted by Drow, promised fair treatment if they surrendered, and they did just that. Of course the lot of them were stripped and sacrificed to Lolth. [35]

Isle of the Ape

Terik was also the main actor in the various IotA [Isle of the Ape] adventures, as he took great exception to the chief's and witch doctor's initial treatment of him. A series of attacks followed, with retreats coming in due course, and then return visits with comrades to take revenge. Only after finally roughly handling the native population did the crew go into the island's interior. One PC, and I won't say which, met Oonga, got grabbed, wrenched, bittem, thrown down, and then drop-kicked off the ledge of the cave. A wish was expended to save him. That ended all interest in further adventuring there #436

As for the Isle of the Ape, most of my guys hared it, but I loved that module, as I love the original King King motion picture #5854

Orcus and Asmodeus

When playing in what became the D3 module someone in the group managed to gate in Asmodeus, and another character called for some entity as strong as that to oppose that devil. Of course I brought in Orcus when the call for assistance was deemed successful. The two are actually opposed of course... They had a fine time laughing at the grovelling mortals, then failed to agree as to who got whose souls. The dispute escallated, and the party escaped.
Not a lot of demons and devils were encountered in my campaign, and when they were it was usually a major fight to get rid of them. They tended to keep gating in reinforcements.
I would sometimes create a unique sort of minor demon or devil for the party to deal with, but. with the plethora of other monsters available this was a rare and "special" thing. #1107

As my campaign never got to the point where the PCs were of a level to dare any encounter with deities of even lesser sort than Orcus, the sum total of my development of the demon lords is pretty much contained in the core monster books.
The only anecdote I have regarding Orcus is this: When a party I was GMing was in the D3 module, they got into such trouble that they pleaded for divine intervention withoug being specific. As this was successful (a d% roll of 00), I had Orcus appear, he being the most potent deity likely to have attention focused in that area. At that point the party was toast, so knowing that they again pleaded for divine intervention, this time specifying a deity opposed to a demon lord, but no more. Again they managed a successful roll, so Asmodeus appeared. Having an immediate understanding of what was happening, the two Evil deities did not fight, not did they bother with the foolish mortals who had summoned them. That was beneath them, of course. So they gated out and left the party to their fate. A couple of the characters actually managed to survive. #1361

A group of players, including regulars that should have known better, did something that brought either Demogorgon or Orcus, I can not recall which it was, to the location of their relatively high-level PCs. They used a wish to call a potent deity opposed to that demon prince, not specifying that the one desired be of Good alignment, so who should appear but Asmodeus.
They were glad to escape with their lives, for I rules that the two great lords of Evil were so amused by such stupidity that they found it beneath their dignity to expunge such bumblers, that they would soon manage that themselves without the helping hand they could employ. #8675

In one tournament session at a Autumn Revel, as I recall, a team managed to bring Asmodeus to their location. In desperation, one of their number called for a diety opposed to that devil to come to them. Being a kindly DM, I had Orcus arrive instanter. Oddly, the party were not in the least happy that I allowed such "divine intervention." I suppose it is because the two Evil beings took stock of the situation, saw no reason to fight amongst themselves, and simply divided up the "spoils" between them and left... #374

Q1 Demonweb Pits

I had what I consider a much more interesting plan for the conclusion of the G-D series, one in which the PC party could loose the Elder Elemental god or send him into deeper isolation, thus assisting Lolth to become more powerful. By very astute play, they could have thwarted the designs of both evil entities. The Demonweb Pits were indeed envisioned as maze like, but there were to be no machines therein. #6349

There was a link between the Drow modules and the ToEE, mainly in my head, and after Q1 came out I rather lost interest in developing the former, as the EEG was not released from his banishment to a distant star (ala Set). I would have devised some other scenario to accomplish that, only the Drow and Lolth were not to be emulated in a hurry, and I ran oput of time to make the attempt, so Frank badgered me into having him complete the ToEE. #5615

Lolth is meant to be a horrific demoness, something worse that the creepiest of arachnids, and her domain was meant to be one of shadows and webs and all manner of nasty lurkers waiting to pounce. The maze was fine, but all the rest, expecially the mechanical stuff, was not at all what I planned. #6391

I did not write Q1, nor did I approve of it. complain to the Blumes, for they insisted on publishing it against my objections.
As for the chief antagonist, it was meant to be Exlavdra on behalf of the EEG, with the minions of Lolth, not the demoness per se., being second and a counterweight to the former as noted. The latter will fight against the Eilservs and tolerate for a time the presence of a PC party that is discommoding their foes.
When their efforts to free the Elder Elemental god from exile were thwarted, Eclavdra did indeed switch her allegience to a demon so as to remain powerful. The term Chaotic Evil suits all of the Drow well.
As for Q1, Ask Dave Sutherland and Brian Blume about that. It was taken out of my hands by the latter when Sutherland discovered the "Demonweb" pattern in a hand towel and talked Brian into using it as the main theme for the concluding module. I had no creative control over it.
I have said repeatedly in print that the Q1 module was Dave Sutherland's interpretation of Lolth, and most certainly not mine. In truth I thoroguhly disapproved of the work but Brian Blume had it produced. Steam power indeed :mad: #5599

When Dave Sutherland did the Q1 as it was, and Brian okayed it, I was rather stuck. Lolth was supposed to be in there, and in the depths the prison of the Elder Elemental God. I had my hands full with the management of the D&D Entertainment Corp. out on the West Coast, so I couldn't get to the completion of the ToEE. That's when Frank Mentzer took a hand and filled in the lower levels that I hadn't detailed. That's why they ended where they did instead of proceeding downwards more to where the EEG's area was going to be. #1421

Dave brought into the TSR offices, then at 723 Williams St., a towel that had a marvelous design that was perfect as a demonweb, so that's how he got into the project for creating the Q1 module. My outline for the whole was for a demi-plane outside of the Abyss, a great spiderweb with encounters at junctions along the way to the center, Lolth's abode there in the middle. The PCs would need to gather pieces of an artifact based on the four elements in the web in order to be able to face the demoness and send her packing back to the abyss. Of course, that would have called back the Elder Elemental God from his place of banishment... #5602

[Four shapes in the egg in Q1] When I wrote an adventure I always tried to put in a few disguised hooks for later exploitation, or not, as the creative muse moved me.
As you note, the shapes were repeated in the ToEE as I did intend to tie the latter into the series. Lolth was to be connected to the temple, she the key to activation of that which would remove the imprisoning bonds from the Elder Elemental God. Of course that would have been by unintended consequences of her actions when the PCs discovered her.
How it was all to operate was something I never did get fleshed out. This was to happen in the lower levels of the temple, the development of which I never got around to because of my work out on the West Coast. #1423

I was reserving Lolth, the drow, and even the Elder Elemental God for detailed treatment in a separate yarn that never got written. Seems the popularity of the dark elves rather closed that avenue--Bob Salvatore's books and all. #1288

I was intimating that Lolth had taken a shine to Lareth, as he was beautiful, regrrdless of where his loyalties, if you will pardon the misapplication of the concept, lay. Lolth too can covet another's property... #6478

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks

I authored the Expedition to the barrier peaks, and it was a downed space vessel as noted, nothing based on any other work. #4498

The End

As a matter of fact I ceased the campaign in 1985 when I severed all times with TSR. #6948

[All Gygyx Campaign]
Keep on the Borderland
Village of Hommlet
Temple of Elemental Evil
Dungeonland
Land beyond the Magic Mirror
Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun
Steading of the Hill Giant Chief
Glacial rift of the Frost Giant Jarl
Hall of the Fire Giant King
Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure
Tomb of Horrors
Descent to the Depths of the Earth
Shrine of the Kuo-toa
Vault of the Drow
Isle of the Ape
(Necropolis, final portion)[35]

Necropolis

The Necropolis super-module was inspired by my own initial dungeon encounter area with an Egyptian theme. As I was studying/researching the Ancient Egyptian religion and the Duat underworld, the whole was pretty easy to create at the time. [35]

Castle Greyhawk at Conventions around 2005

How right you are, though, about the newer players not knowing when to retreat so as to fight another day! that's how my Old Guard Kobolds came into being, grew to be a force--killing PC parties that stayed and fought when it was clear they couldn't beat the little buggers. #3426

I have DMed OD&D, the three-booklet really original version, at a dozen cons over the past few years. I have players roll 3d6, record the scores in order. and play the characters as developed thus. I do modify the rules in regards HPs, have any 1 rolled count as a 2. We have a great time. Of course that's mainly due to nostalgia on the players' part, and I do my best to make the dungeon crawl exciting and unusual--encounters such as those with my Old Guard kobolds. #1751

As a DM I made lemonade out of the "lemons" of the new players' reluctance to flee, to stand and die before a foe that was trashing them. That is how the Old Guard Kobolds came into being, and they have grown in both individual ability, numbers, and organizarion so they now pose a meaningful threat to PC parties of 4th or 5th level. Sadly, a group of such PC that were veterans took most of them out, but it was a casual play session, so I won't count it against the little humanoids #5651

Of course I not only think that they are, but have observed the coddled state of many new gamers as they died before my now beloved Old Guard Kobolds or met otherwise useless deaths because they: 1) were not thinking, and/or 2) assumed that whatever they met in an encounter they could deal with, and/or 3) they expected a special DM intervention such as a save when they totally screwed up.
Finally, there is no distinction between "having a PC figure something out" and the player doing so, Unless a psychotic schizophrenic is playing, the two are not separate entities, as the player is making believe he is the game character. #5645

I just played a house ruled OD&D (three booklet) adventure at the Winterdark convention here, taking six created-on-the-spot 2nd level PCs on a dungeon crawl through the upper levels of my original Castle Greyhawk campaign, those dungeon levels being created in 1972 and 1973. #8670

In brief: We are using the three booklets. HP rolls are re-done if a 1 comes up. Fighters add +1 per die, and all PCs add +1 if their Con is above 14. Fighters add +1 damage for Str above 14. Dex does not affect AC just missile attacks. That's about it. #2217

As for the mule, a wandering monster was indicated--the mule and the cart are noisy and attract a good deal of likely unwanted attention. As it was left alone, the mule was the prime target for the hungry gelatinous cube. #8077

The Small Greyhawk Campaign 2007

Gary reran in the upper levels of an abbrevieated version of Castle Greyhawk in a home campaign. This is of course a great source of information on the dungeon. Also, his rules amendmends may give some insight on how he thinks things should be handled, although they may differ from the way he used to run it in 1973.

I have only the 40 or so levels of the original Castle Greyhawk for A/D&D play. I am using seven of them in a separate format for this particular mini-campaign. In play-testing the Well of Shadows LA game adventure, my veteran players found the number of levels, seven therein, about as demanding and intense as enjoyable. Seven dungeon levels for a crawl is about twice that number in a formal module, so I know I have plenty of material to keep the group delving. #2938 

Yes, only the three booklets and with house rules adjusting HPs and the effects of high, 15 or better, attributes of Str, Int, Wis, Dex, and Con. Each is given a +1 benefit to stats or spells. #5558

GYGAX HOUSE RULES 2007
• STR > 14: +1 to hit and +1 to damage if a Fighter
• INT > 14: +1 1st level m-u spell
• WIS > 14: +1 1st level cleric spell
• DEX > 14: +1 to AC, and +1 to move silently
• CON > 14: +1 HP per HD (same as a Fighter class gets, +2 if a
Fighter)
• CHA > 14: +1 (positive) on reaction checks
• HPs: Characters are only unconscious at 0 HPs. For each level a
character may have a minus HP total equal to the level, so a 1st level
PC is dead at -2, a 2nd level at -3, etc.
• When taking damage allow -1 HP per character level

[From a Gygax post via Cyclopatreon, after the original forum post went down. I find especially the last point totally unbalancing at higher levels, and extremely strong even for level 2-3 characters, although it would not have entirely blanked most monster attacks. Maybe he also used to +1/HD dmg on the side of the monsters, in which case it would have evened out]

My campaign group here is playing in a turncated version of the original dungeons that has indeed been "upgunned" because PCs have enabled the monsters inhabiting the levels to become better armed and most astute in their tactics. That said, I made the group begin 3rd level characters in hopes that they would feel more confident in exploring lower levels. THAT THEY HAVE REFUSED TO DO, AND NOW THEY HAVE ABOUT THREE QUARTERS OF THE 1ST LEVEL MAPPED, AND ONLY A 3RD LEVEL M-U AND HIS GUARDS, A BAND OF GOBLIN SLAVERS, PLUS THE TWO COMPLEXES IN WHICH THE OLD GUARD KOBOLDS HOLD REMAIN AS ACTIVE ENCOUNTERS.
You are correct about the power of the PCs. I am using original D&D rules with only some few additions, so HPs and spells are limited drastically at 1st level. (At the time when those rules were written, it was assumed a typical adventuring party would have about 8 PCs plus as many hired men-at-arms #2168

We are playing the three-booklet version of D&D now, and I don't use any supplements, just rules changes I have made to give greater viability to the beginning characters.
When we play AD&D I use all the core rules, including the material in the UA book, or not. If the group is really old school, then we do not use the UA changes. I can enjoy DMing either way, so the players decide what they prefer. #2735

Gold: $500/ounce (coin metal)
Silver: $10/ounce (coin metal)
Copper: $1/ounce (coin metal)
Platinum, pure: $750/ounce #2218

Actually, I have been using the old dungeon levels in both OD&D and OAD&D play at many conventions over the past years--even ran my group through several of the oldest upper levels just this spring. thus I am well in tough with the material and the "feel" needed to re-do the whole in depth. #4414

The Swine! :]
I refer to my players and their filthy 5th level PCs of course. Picking on those fine upstanding little kobolds at their level. They should be ashamed, not bragging and thumping their chests. It took a hold person the three sleep spells to do the vile deed.
Fortunately, they are adventuring in an abbreviated dungeon level construction, so the actual Old Guard Kobolds remain unaffected, are still around to beat the crap out of lower level parties not sufficiently astute to run away and come back when they are at 5th level :uhoh:
The party had pretty well mapped the first level, and the only remaining force there were the OGKs, so I suppose it was inevitable that the poor little dears met their fate. It gave me some considerable satisfaction that they dropped the offending magic-user to 0 HPs twice during the enconter. It was as if the random dice determination for PCs hit was sentient, knew that he was the instrument of their doom. He dropped 12 of them with his third sleep spell...
The thouls awaiting the party on a lower level will wreak revenge for their depridations above. As they are active in the dungeon complex, only wandering monsters will be likely to be encountered on the depopulated 1st level. #2704

As a matter of habit I seldom use miniature figurines. None of my regulars bring one to represent their character/Avatar, and while I have plenty of such figurines they could use, I do not have much in the way of creature sorts, so those would have to be dice. That sort of spoils the spectacle. When we do formal demos, though, we use Dwarven Forge dungeons/caves and miniatures. #5587

In the O/AD&D games I DM, I hand out XPs for eliminating foes, using spells and skills, doing the thing called for, mission success, as well as for loot gained--the latter being the main reason for most adventuring #6435

As the players don't seem particularly interested in town adventures, I skip all that and simply take away large amounts of money when they are in the city regaining health, resupplying, etc. That obviates the need for them to do what they would consider a waste of valuable adventuring time in hunting up a mage to id items for them. [11]

At 0 the PC is uncoscious (with a further -1 per level, so a 4th level fighter can be at -5), but a potion or a cure wounds can restore them immediately [11]

I do require that they taste potions and experiment to find out what the liquid does. If they discover something unusual, likely I'll have them visit the Striped Mage to have the object explained... [11]

[References: see Greyhawk References]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions & Answers from a year of Role-Playing Games Stack Exchange

I spent a year of spare time asking and answering questions on Role Playing Games Stack Exchange.  You can filter for my most upvoted questi...