Monday, July 12, 2021

Gary's Player Characters

Gary, the player

From 1972 through c. 1981 I played about as much as a PC as I GMed some RPG. From 1982 on I have GMed about 90% of the time and played a character role only about 10% of the time. [11]

Back in 73-78 not many gamers were so constrained. Rob Kuntz DMed for me all the time, and several others were ready todo so when I was available and they were around to do so. [11]

We played a LOT. An average of seven gaming sessions a week was typical even when I was busy working. Often I played more than that. Rob would DM for me one-on-one where I mostly roleplayed because I was doing manual work at the same time. So, understanding that, the number of PCs I created and played should be likewise understandable. Playing seriously and intensely a good deal of the time, I varied that by playing otherwise--such as with my half-orc cleric-assassin #878

Because Rob was kind enough to DM for me when I was working at home, about half of the adventures I enjoyed were single player--me playing one or more, usually more, of my PCs. the remainder of play was with one or more other persons, on occasion a dozen or more, so I can play just about any way. the tales I recount are generally those of more memorable sort--easy when only one person is making the decisions and those decisions turn out very well or most unfortunate... #2009

All of my play was in group fashion, with the DM right there, and indeed most of my high level PCs were "retired" for use by the DM, by me on special occasions. The non-adventuring activities were managed by me creating the details in writing and having my DM, Rob Kuntz, approve them. Of course when we became co-DMs of a unified campaign, I did what seemed reasonable for the NPCs. #5154

Rob's original dungeon levels were merged with mine to create the second Castle Greyhawk, but I have recorded some of my PCs adventures therein before that merger took place in pages of the Dragon Magazine column. While my characters adventured under a fair number of DMs, Rob was the one who refereed the majority of them. However, as the group bacame higher level, much of the action was outdoors. #1848

Gary's Play

The role-playing was never a major feature of the game, however, save when PCs were in some sort of conflict situation. When Yrag was role-playing the effects of the first Ring of Contrariness even in the game, there was a good deal of such in-character repartee happening. That was the exception, not the rule. The usual was explore, solve problems, locate adversaries, combat adversaries, run away from triumphant foes or loot defeated ones. #6603

When I am having my own PC flee in unseemly haste I usually quote Falstaff's lines in Shakespeare's plays: "He who runs away lives to fight another day," or. "discretion is the better part of valor." #5666

I might well have named each and every one of my characters Falstaff, or Sir John Oldcastle in regards to beating feet when things looked grim in the odds of winning a confrontation department

I hate to be surprised by anything that can petrify a PC, of course, and level-draining monsters are just plain nasty.

Gary's PCs

Most of my PCs were Neutral so that they could adventure with virtually any other alignment of PCs. There was a need for that, because alignments of the PCs I would join was all over the chart, chaotic to lawful, evil to good, with the neutral shades in the mix. I did have a few Chaotic Good ones, and one Chaotic Evil half-orc cleric/assassin that met an early end. The last PC I created for OAD&D was about five or six years years ago, one Snurre Sharpnose, a gnome illusionist/thief of chaotic neutral sort. #6256

My PCs and their companions are always seeking to clean subterranean places...of valuables as well as those creatures that think to guard them #7150

I believe it is a splendid idea for players able to manage two or more PCs. I did that a good deal myself...although if I was playing more that three characters it became difficult for me to handle each and every one properly. Two was no problem, and three was passably done. #6910

The information sheet I usually use is a printed form backed up with a page or two of lined note paper. I am not so lost in make-believe that I spend a lot of time detailing the imagined game persons... [11]

The options for m-us are more interesting to me than are those for most other classes. I have played a good number of fighters, but I prefer to play a PC that can whip out a spell now and again. My highest level PC is Mordenkainen, my last PC, created some five years back, is a gnome illusionist-thief, with about four levels in each class. I had some fun playing a half-orc cleric-assassin, but when he was killed the other (Evil) PCs with him simply looted his corpse and moved on... #1928

In the OAD&D game my favorite PCs are: Mordenkainen, Bigby, Yrag, Sigby Gribgyson; Zigbie the Dwarf; Rigby, and Slidell of Fax--with several others coming thereafter [11].

PC                        Race      Class        Level        Alignment    Comment (c8 = citadel/circle of 8)
Mordenkainen      Human   Wizard     26 (25-29) N                    c8
Bigby                    Human   Wizard     24 (23-27) CN (was CE) c8, 2 levels < Mordenkainen, his follower
Yrag                      Human   Fighter     16+ (19)                          c8, 
Sigby Grigbyson   Human   Fighter     15- (15)                          c8, Yrags Follower
Zigby the Dwarf    Dwarf    Fighter      8-9 (max; 11?)               c8
Riggby the Cleric  Human  Cleric        12+  (15)                        c8 "the Ready" of Boccob/Zagyg, l. 10 [48]
Felnorith                Human  Fighter       9+  (12)                         c8, of the Many Swords, l. 9 when M. l. 13
Vram & Vin           Elf         Dual?       7-11 (max)                      c8 (count as one)
Nigby                     Human  Fighter     mid-level                        Felorinth's Follower, Nomad
Slidell of Fax         Human? Wizard     11 ("mid-level")             Bigby's Apprentice
Curly Greensleves Gnome? Druid        7
Barbarian                Human Barbarian
Half-Orc                Half-Orc Assassin/Cleric 3-4 (dead) NE
High-Stats              Human Fighter       1 (dead)
Snurri Sharpnose    Gnome Illusionist/Thief  3-4
(additional level, race and class info from Canonfire article by ScottyG)

PC deaths

A fighter PC of mine in Brian Blume's campaign with a natural 18 strength, 17 constitution and 16 dexterity was killed before getting to 2nd level, lost and gone forever :( The same is true of a half-orc cleric-assassin PC of mine, but he got to 3rd level before biting the dust. #2058

I never lost any of my main PCs, although most of them "died" at least once and were resurrected or wished back to life by their fellow adventurers. Even though I was over 30 then I did now and again get a bit rash. Once when the DM was really lousy, Yrag threw himself on his sword in disgust. Murlynd, Robilar, Tenser, and Terik brought his corpse back and had him resurrected...with another person as the DM #2058

Move

A PC of mine actually adventured in "The Living Room" when Rob was running a separate campaign. It became a part of GH castle when Rob became my co-DM. I suspect you can pretty well guess what the encounter entails... #511

Furniture which is animated to trip, confine, and smother (rugs and carpets) or move about and hug and kick (stools, chairs, divans) or blinds and throws down (tapestries and wall hangings). (Ours is known as the "Living Room".) [20]

Yrag

My first PC was a fighter named Yrag, back in 1972. Mordenkainen came into being about the first month of 1973. #2788

Yrag used a wish to gain a horn of blasting. He got a map that he followed through perilous lands to finally arrive at a cavern in which he had to fight several hydras. Sadly, the length of the quest and the hard fight at its conclusion made me forget that my character was seeking a magical treasure of specific sort. He left with some treasure but not the horn he had wished for. In short I overlooked the horn of blasting and so never did Yrag or any of his associates ever possess such an item. [11]

[Girlde of Giant Strength] Yrag has one of fire giant strength, but Robilar's is of cloud giant strength [11]

Once my fighter PC, Yrag, was adventuring with the PCs of son Ernie, Rob and Terry Kuntz. It was in a Dave Arneson dungeon, and Dave allowed fighters to use wands, so Yrag had a Wand of Lightning. Rob's and Terry's PCs were threatening mine because I had the most treasure, began a whispered conspiratorial planning session. I warned them to cease that, but they ignored the warning. I 'bolted both, then got into a melee with the pair. Yrag eventually dropped both of them, as Ernie's PC watched...hoping to end up with all the loot from the three in combat. The elven watchers in the dungeon put Yrag on trial, but the verdict was justifable homicide. What an odd adventure session :roll: That was the last time a PC of mine ever fought a duel to the death with another PC of the party. [11]

I absolutely love an occassional joke magic item. Anyway, I have had an hilarious time with Boots of Dancing, and I role-played my fighter Yrag with the first Ring of Contrariness ever in play, and that was a thigh-slapper for sure. A ring of Delusion can be fun, and a Wand of Wonder is always a hoot. [35]

Mordenkainen


Mordenkainenn was Gary's main, favourite, and most famous character.

Mordenkainens Stats and Equipment

Gary made a big secret about his characters' stats, and claimed Brian Blume made them up for the Rogues Gallery [Reference needed]. And with Wishes, aging effects and enhancing or permanent Stat-altering Magic not uncommon in OD&D, they were not static and would have evolved over time (see his writeup on Conan's stats in Dragon Magazine, which shows this way of thinking).

Of course I am not about to give out his stats;) The same is true with all the other PCs of mine that compose the Circle of Eight. I can't give out those of other person's PCs either. If they wish to, that's their call. #1568 

I will show the DM my CRS, but not the other players. When sitting down with a group of unknown players, one never knows when there will be some wishing to "make a name for their PC," or simply loot your PC's corpse. Finally, IMO character stats are no more anyone other that the player and his DM's business than is personal information such as bank accounts and the like. #6043

Still we do have his Stats, when he was level 13. You can assume they got better from there on his way to mid-20s level. 

Stats when he was level 13:
Str    9
Dex  13
Con  16
Int    18
Wis   13
Cha   17
Staff of Power, Ring of X-Ray Vision [Jon Peterson, article in Wargamers Digest 1 (7), 1974]

I envisaged Mordenkainen as around 30 year of age when he began adventuring, so that would make him around 80 years of age now (considering campaign time)--although he has quaffed a number of potions of longevity preiodically, always when a wish was cast, so likely he appears more like a vigorous 50. #5128

I doubt that in 1972 when he rolled up Mordie he already had aging rules and would have modified the stats for age. I'd guess that starting at 30, by level 13 he still was under 40 years ("mature" according to the DMG), with no change. Looking at AD&D aging effects, Mordenkainen being age 50 physically (middle aged), and age 80 mentally (old) would remove one point of Str and Con, and add (to a max of 18) 1 to Int and 2 to Wis. As he already had Int 18, this would leave him with: Str 8 Dex 13 Con 15 Int 18 Wis 15 Cha 17. At that point he had nearly all Ioun stones, adding one to all stats (again to a max of 18), for 
Str 9 Dex 14 Con 16 Int 18 Wis 16 Cha 18.

Equipment

At level 13: Staff of Power, Ring of X-Ray Vision [Jon Peterson, article in Wargamers Digest 1 (7), 1974]

Bracers of Protection AC 2, Ring of Wizardry (doubling 4th and 5th level spells) [Oerth Journal #6 (25 November 1997) "Journey to the City of the Gods"]
(If you are interested in all the published mentions of Mordenkainen up to and including 5e, not just the PC of Gary, here is a great compilation.)

12 Ioun Stones: Indeed, what mage did not long for those 14 different colors and shapes to be circling his
head? Mordenkainen, my own chief spellcaster PC, went on many a harrowing expedition searching for them, eventually wound up with an even dozen. [45] The one for Int does nothing for Mordenkainen, as he already has Int 18 (or better), that would leave 1 that he is lacking unless he has some twice, if we do not count burned out ones. 

[Mordenkainen's Hound] The hound was an extenuation of my Onyx Dog (page 57, Greyhawk Suppl. #1; then later in the DMG), as EGG's PC, Mordenkainen, acquired that from an adventure I DMed. Thus his character sheet, with the item noted upon it, acted as a stimulus in this regard. [41]

"The Orcky Level" (or aka, "Grumch's Grotto").  It was originally placed 100 miles NE of the City/Castle.  This is where EGG found the Iron Bands of Bilaro (from Unearthed Arcana). [41]


Mordenkainen's Background

The name is pronounced as More-den-KAY-nen. #6621

I picked the name because one Vainomoinen was sometimes referred to as "Old Waino." I really was captivated with Finnish myth after seeing a B&W movie done by the Russians, I think, about him, Leminkainen, and Ilmarinen adventuring to Pojola and entering Louhi's fortress, then reading "The Green Magician" by de Camp and Pratt as well as the Kalevala. #5529

As for the finnish pantheon, I quite agree that is is a most interesting one. I styled my magic-user Mordenkainen on that mythology. [11]

Mordenkainen was my second PC, and I started playing him early in 1974 wanting a magic-iser to balance my fighter, Yrag. I still play Mordie now and again in very high-level scenarios where a mage of over 20th level doesn't over-power the opposition. #1568

Mordenkainen I pictured as tall, lean, with a pale complexion tanned by sun and weather. His features are sharp, eyes gray. His hair is rather bushy, with a long moustache but no beard. He favors garments of gray with black or bright blue accents--girdle and blouse for example. His age apears to be somewhere around 50. #7764

Mordenkainen being a mage was indeed a follower of Boccob, and thus generally honored Zagyg. #1848

Mordenkainen is Neutral, although he tends to prefer Good over Evil, Chaos over Law. #2353

Mordenkainen as a TN character would sometimes accompany one or more of those PCs when another DM was running the session. #6460

I never really worried about the ethnic origination of my human PCs. I would assume that Mordenkainen would be mainly of Oeridian stock and that Bigby is from Flan-Suloise background. #2887

He does not plan to remain as a lich, not at all his style. Because he knew and associated with characters of varying alignment, Mordenkainen can to view the opposing alignments as necessary parts of the cosmos, rather akin to the concept of yang and yin. He is likely not a True Neutral any longer, as he leans away from Evil and Law. #5128

Mordenkainen's Spells and Tactics

Mordenkainen always had a fair stock of magic missile, fire ball, and lightning bolt spells to go with ice storm, cone of cold, cloudkill, death spell, and power word stun (later on) Evard's black tentacles was another oft-used casting. Dropping a cloudkill spell around his party and advancing on low-level monsters was a lot of fun. Of course depending on intelligence he would alter the usual. Mordie had some pretty extensive spell books, of course, and he and Bigby exchanged spells to broaden their repertories. #232

Mordie uses polymorphed monsters, hits them with a dispell magic after they are tossed into the midst of the adversary or adversaries #5655

Hydra snails are the specialty of Mordenkainen, many attacks in one, as it were. There is a danger of having the polymorphed critters released by a hostile spell caster, so a container within an anti-magic shell is advised. Otherwise a debacle such as you mention is all too likely #5660

None of my m-us ever possessed a familiar. I didn't think the potential benefits outweighed the drawbacks. [11]

My m-us were always busy re-charging wands and the like until essentially retired. then they made magic items--usually by combining two or more existing ones gained honorably in questing #3348

When small parties adventured--well stocked with potions of healing and extra-healing--often no cleric would be present, for the members were high level and had a lot of magical goodies to cover them in crises. for example, Mordenkainen and Bigby would teleport away in a pinch. #1953

To the best of my recollection, Mordenkainen was the only PC that made a habit of capturing and enlisting NPCs in my campaign. Tenser, Otto, et al. were PCs created by their respective players. I must say that Mordie was most assiduous in his fair treatment of Bigby, supplying him with much in the way of magical rewards, treating him as an equal, and sharing fairly with him, thus winning his loyalty--helped by Mordenkainen's high Charisma score certainly. #1822

Mordenkainen taught all of his apprentices the enlarge spell for such possibility...and to give them a healing sans cleric  #4976

Mordenkainen used wishes only in extremis to bring back associates that had met their end. #5016

No PC in the group would ever have dared face a really big-time demomon of devi. I'll speak for Mordenkainen and Bigby in that regard  #1107

If the PCs are walking magic shope, the encounters get beefed up accordingly. However... Mordie has about six or seven he carries with him at all times, mainly things to up his AC and number of spells on tap.
Potions and scrolls count as only half or less of a normal, reusable item. #6239

Mordenkainen's Red Dragons

Encounters with dragons were not common, quite rare, all things considered. Mordenkainen encountered several over his years of adventuring, subdued two red ones, the very old Gorki and the young Porki (thank you for naming them Rob...) #3173

Mordenkainen and his henchmen managed to subdue and capture an ancient red dragon (that Rob named Ghorki in spite) and then a second very young one (that Rob named Phorki). Ghorki remained behind to guard the Citadel, but little Phorki often accompanied expeditions into the surrounding terrain to rid the area of undesirable elements...and take their stuff. Uncorking him from a "merchant's wagon" was an effective diversionary attack #7721

To the best of my recollection my PCs have managed to slay only a few. Of course Mordenkainen and party did subdue a couple of red dragons. The last time Mordie was involved in dragon slaying was in an OAD&D campaign run by my son Ernie. Two ancient white dragons had ambushed his main players' PC party, killed most. So they sought help, Mordenkainen agreed to the deal, and lead the survivors and some new PCs into the dragons' lair. a Power Word Stun took care of one, and the other, lurking invisibly above on a ledge was then assailed and laid low--many a Magic Missile lightening the combat load on the other characters in the melee. #57

Mordenkainen's Level

Yrag and Mordenkainen both began as 1st level, and Rob Kuntz, the main DM for their adventures, was not prone to cutting slack for anyone. #996

Mordenkainen and Bigby, mainly by demand, played in so many different campaigns that they kept climbing. Most of my other PCs that did likewise, but were mainly active in Greyhawk with Rob as DM, are in the range of 16th level (Yrag) on down. #1058

Survival and ability to adventure widely were my first concerns for Mordenkainen. When he made 12th level I decided he should have some greater purpose, so I added political concerns, keeping the balance in the Flanaess, growing powerful and influential, and keeping aggressive bad guys at bay. At no time was there a desire to rule more than a minor domain where he and his associates and followers would be secure and properly housed and fed. Of course, he had a lot of followers, so a small demesne was out of the question. #5532

At 14th level through the next few above that he played for a good bit of time in Francois Marcela Froideval's campaign. At those levels Mordenkainen was a low-level "flunkie" type, as the movers and shakers in that setting were of high 30th and 40th level. Francois had a complete campaign based on ultra-high level characters, and believe me it was filled with challenges and a very real sense of danger for PCs of under 30th level, I should think. there was a lot of roleplay, and the wrong dialog coming from a chatacter could be fatal... #1975

Although I did not play intensley with Mordenkainen after he hit 16th level, the occasional adventures he undertook worked his level upwards into the 20s. As I had the privilege of having several very able DMs, there was never a problem with adventures being too easy--quite the opposite, as is demonstrable in Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure :uhoh:
That said, I had a large roster of PCs that were from 4th through 10th level for "regular: adventures. #6611

When Mordenkainen hit 18th level he was virtually retired, went only on special quests. The last time he was played it was against a pair of ancient white dragons. Before that he was transported with a group of lower-level PCs to the Starship Warden. However...
After surpassing 18th level, Mordenkainen and Bigby have adventured alone (with some lower level companions), as were no suitable challenges for them in cooperation. #1975

My own top-level PC Mordenkainen, went past 20th level thus--special high-level scenarios. In one in company with several other like PCs. the first encounter faced by the group were liches armed with Rods of Cancellation that charging the party. #1318

I do believe that Mordenkainen earned his twenty-something levels through cleverness, daring, a bit of luck, and dint of trying...often with the aid of his associates and followers. Nowadays he seldom ventures forth, but when he does it is in disguise and usually alone. #5532

Mordie's last two adventures were one there he was accompanying some mid-level characters who got transferred to the MA game's Starship Warden and another in which two ancient white dragons were awaiting the party. Each of those was about a year apart. Otherwise, as did my players, I tend to have more fun playing a PC of somewhere between 5th and 12th level. #1318

Mordie is nervous aboard the Starship Warden, and even with his most powerful associates would not feel confident of adveturing in the Hells or the Abyss. Maybe if he was a demi-god and his companions were all of at least quasi-deity status... #5451

Mordenkainen has not ventured forth from his citadel for about five years. The last adventure he assisted with was to deal with a pair of ancient white dragons. Of course he is still available for action if there's the proper occasion. #3316

Either the players must have characters of generally similar power or else the DM must devise special scenarios for the one or two unber-PCs in his group. the last two times Mordienkained adventures was in the Metamorphosis Alpha game setting and in son Ernie's campaign at the Game Guild where about eight or 10 PCs of c. 8th level had been had by a pair of ancient white dragons. Mordie was called in to redress things, and he managed the pair of drakes pretty well single handedlu, although it was not a cake walk. #7852

I have played a PC of over 20th but less than 30th level. Advancement of that particular character came because of long play and some pretty clever stuff done therein, if I do say so myself. #371 

Mordenkainen's Adventures

As Rob had begun his own campaign, I played a lot in it with various PCs--Yrag, Mordenkainen, Bigby, etc. I enlisted Rob as co-DM for my campaign too, as it took two of us to manage the large player groups, and also to run all the game sessions demanded by smaller parties. Often times there were two long sessions a day in 1974 and 1975. I had to write material, so Rob ran many of them. A few years later son Luke played Melf. #141

I feeely admit I love to DM dungens where exploration is at least as important as the encounters, solving the problems and defeating the tricks and traps a major feature of the whole. Rob had some very nasty stuff like that in his dungeons, and I swan I am still at a loss as to one. It seemed every time my PC would pick up a loose gem--usually not more than 1-100 GP value, but sometimes greater, so the lure was irrestible--he'd soon be teleported to some other place, sometimes a most unpleasant one. Never did figure out if it was the gems proper or some other nearby thing that activated the transferrance #376

As a matter of fact a couple of years back I was playing one of my old OAD&D PCs in a campaign run by my son Ernie when a wind walker attacked. Even though I created the stats for the monster, damned if I could remember its suseptibilites, so my PC was not able to counter the critter. It could not have been metagaming, as he had confronted wind walkers before...so long before that he had forgotten #6912

About three years back I was playing in an OAD&D game and a wind walker was encountered. Damned if I could remember just how to attack the critter effectively, so my PC ran away, managed to escape while it was busy attacking others. #1918

Then again, Mordenkainen, Bigby, and several other members of their group did wipe out 3K of goblins Rob Kuntz sent against them, luckily from a distance, and I found it quite appropriate. #7789

Mordenkainen's Troops

Moprdenkainen started out with hired men-at-arms and mounted serjeants. As we encountered and defeated bandits and their ilk, we enlisted willing volunteers. When we ran into nomads and slew all their leaders, the rest threw in their lot and joined our company--more like a division by that time.
Keeping the lot of them fed and in loot was a real challenge, and to balance the bad we made sure to wipe out all the evil we came across so as to remain neutral. #5135

In general the player group in my campaign were not much interested in politics and warfare. When I played, my PCs I was always meddling in politics and had a large army, so some warfare was played out with Rob as the DM. The lands rules by my PCs, that is Mordenkainen and his followers, were gained by his formation of a raiding force, that being developed into a standing army. It was supported initially by raiding and pillaging opponents, then by the resources of the territory gained by military action. As it was mainly against aggressive humanoid forces and nomadic raiders, the settled states around his holdings were happy to support and trade with the newly formed political entity. Greyhawk was set up to enable both political play and large-scale warfare #1814

I dropped the idea because of the amount of work needed to set it up and go forward, too much like an historical military miniatures campaign without established facts. Too many unknowns that would demand preparation and then attention on an ongoing basis.
If you wish to include the forces of the Obsidian Citadel in the campaign, they you will have to run them, as I haven't the time--if I get started then I'll want to manage things, what with being a gamer and all. Assuming there is a good reason to become involved, some imbalance in the offing, and there is funding and reward for the troops, then I can supply you with list of the troops available. #5158

Mordie and his pals did a good bit of adventuring after that old essay was published. There are contingents of dwarves and elves in his force, as well as numbers of infantry of all sorts there at the citadel. The number of light cavalry has increased dramatically, and there are also heavy horsemen in the army. #5159

We never got into any large-scale PC force vs. PC force battles in the campaign. however, Rob was the DM for some of Mordenkainen's roving forays with several thousands of troops, even city siege attacke. He winged such, as we both had considerable experience with large-scale military miniatures battles. That's what I did when a large PC force met a large NPC one opposed to it. #2370

Bigby and the Terrible Iron Golem

Bigby was a PC of mine who started out as a henchman, then apprentice, of Mordenkainen. #533

Mordenkainen did indeed manage to get the drop on Bigby, charm him. At the time Bigby was a 3rd level NE dungeon dweller. By word and deed Mordie brought him around from NE to N, and thus Bigby became his apprentice. I got to roll the stats for that character after Rob determined he was a loyal henchman of Mordenkainen. #2650

Mordenkainen was adventuring in Rob's dungeon when he surprised a 3rd level magic-user of Evil persuation. Mordie's charm spell worked on that worthy, whose name turned out to be Bigby. By dint of fellowship, lecturing, mentoring, and sharing with Bigby, he was not only turned from CE to Neutral, but from there to a leaning towards CG as he considered his past actions. #6233

Bigby I envisioned as of medium height, bald, with prominent nose and large, dark eyes. He is also around age 50, but as he is rather plump, Bigby has few wrinkles. his hands are large and long-fingerd. His clothing is generally of deep green. #7764

Mordenkainen and Bigby faced an iron golem in Rob Kuntz's campaign. It could levitate and breathed fire. That construct was armed with a poisoned sword and a whip tipped with cockatrice feathers. Mordenkainen was turned to stone and Bigby was slain when he failed his save:( Fortunately others of the circle came to their rescue, and as Rigby used a stone to flesh spell, Nigby used a wish to bring Bigby back to life. #1236

When Mordenkainen and Bigby were laid low by that iron golem that could levitate, breathe fire, and had a whip of petrifaction and a poison sword I was at the time personally pretty sure that not much worse an opponent could come down the pike #3414

[Mordenkainens Adventure Gates]  Fact is I never got to try any of those gates. Rob alone knows where those sent the PC activating them. All Mordie & Company found was a portal to a world where everything was super-sized--recall the huge ivory pillars thet he and Bigby sought refuge atop when the iron golem attacked. Not wanting to meet creatures armed with tusks as large as towers, we scooted away. the plan was to return another day, but fate intervened to disallow that--I was moved out to the West Coast.

As Bigby is only in the mid 20s in level, that sounds fine. Of course he is always accompanied by an entourage of fighters and others to support him...[35]

I still occasionally play Mordenkainen, as usual I will decline to answer questions about his stats and level. I will say he is over 20th level and has some great magic items, though. bigby is still two levels lower than Mordenkainen. #6228

These two statements together, with "mid-20s" being at the lowest 23 and at most maybe 27, more likely 24-26 as you would call 21 or 22 low-20s and 28, 29 high 20s for sure, would peg Mordenkainen somewhere between level 26 and 28. As he is being described as over 20, not under 30, I think the lower end of this range is more likely, probably about level 26, with Bigby 24.

Circle of Eight

Mordenkainen
Bigby
Yrag
Felnorith
Sigby Grigbyson
Zigby
Rigby
Vran & Vin (counted as one)
The purpose of the association was to hold and expand the terrirory that they had, and to keep Neutrality paramount therein. So perhaps expansion fits your criterion above #5448

With so many players, so diverse a lot of them, continuity was a problem, so the Citadel of Eight became more of a campaign law enforcement device. Mordenkainen's plans for s separate state in the Flanaess went by the boards at that time, so the "retired" status became general with those PCs--Mordenkainen, Bigby, Yrag, Riggby, and Zigby the Dwarf (who had topped out in level), Felnorith, and the Elves Vram and Vin (also topped out). #5154

When I needed a PC of less potency than one of my main characters, I would have that one's "master" send him out to adventure on his own. As the liege lord of that character never demanded and share of treasure gained by the "apprentice," the relationship became more familial, eventurally that of equals, with the former vassal-type respecting and deferring to his former master in many things.
My DM didn't mind, as that kept the most powerful PCs on the sidelines much of the time. #5166

Yes indeed, Siggby Griggbyson is a member of the Circle of Eight, as is the m-u Slidell of Fax and the nomadic fighter Nigby. Siggby is the righthand man of Yrag, and Nigby the lieutenant of Felnorith (of the Many Swords), while Slidell is Bigby's former apprentice, now his righthand man. #5157

Likely the inclusion of Mordenkainen, Bigby, and the rest of my PCs as a Neutral force in the campaign moderated excesses, of course, those of Good as well as Evil. I kept them as active in play so as to make the campaign viable for all alignments, No faction could expect to dominate with the Circle of Eight there to keep the balance. Beside that, it gave me a chance to team up with any group when someone else was DMing, and thus I could play more #971

Robilar, Terik, and Erac's Cousin became Lawful Evil. Mordenkainen as Neutral had no reason to assail them as long as they didn't cross the line with him. The other PCs of Good alignment in the game were quite lacking the power to take out those three characters. Sigby Grigbyson is the correct name, and the main dwarf is Zigby. You left out Slidell of Fax and Curley Greenleaf. All the "by" suffix names were forced on my by DM Rob Kuntz because i had so many PCs he thought they should be identifiable. #2385

From memory the original CoE was composed of my PCs--Mordenkainen, Bigby, Yrag, Rigby, Felnorith, Zigbie, Vram & Vin. In the novel version the Circle was expanded to encompass other PCs in my campaign such as Tenser.
It came into being because Mordenkainen and Associates had a lot of wealth stored up from successful adventuring, located a place for a stronghold deep in enemy territory to assure plenty of action, and then went to work building the citadel. As there was an small army of dwarves associted with the larger, mounted field army, the building project went relatively quickly, about three game years to complete. While it was in progress, the "boys" were active in raiding the lands around to keep the enemy forces back on their heels. #1621

Obsidian Citadel

He built a fortress that eventually became the Obsidian Citadel, an octagonaly-walled castle, in which he and his associated resided with various military forces. #5128

In my campaign magic items granting wishes were quite rare and after a few hilarious times where the incautious PCs misused them, all such were saved for desperate situations. without potions of longevity, Mordenkainen will not use a wish spell, and there are only two item-cointained wish spells in the whole of the Obsidian Citadel's magic repository. #5114

Building a vast stronghold, and employing lots of henchmen and troops, tends to take care of excess wealth;) Any leftover treasure went to dragons Ghorki and Porki for their bedding #752

Mordenkainen has two red ones in his citadel's subterranean complex... #3370

The magic hoard in the Citadel is large...and sadly mostly of very low level. Poor Zigby the Dwarf lost his +2 shield in the frost giant jarl's ice caves and had to accept a +1 replacement from Mordenkainen :\
This is not to say that Mordenkainen, Bigby, Yrag, and Riggby don't glow like bonfires when a detect magic spell is played upon them... #5124

The Obsidian Citadel was indeed my personal creation as a player. The eight (actually nine) main PCs of mine that occupied it were Mordenkainen, Bigby, Yrag, Rigby, Vram & Vin, Zigby, Felnorith, and Nigby. It was an octagonal castle with eight wall towers and a central keep with much space between the outer wall and the inner works because of the number of troops housed in this fortress. #2099

The Obsidian Citadel and its Circle of Eight was original to my own campaign. When Mordenkainen was at a level I considered too high for normal adventuring, I used the money he and his associates had amassed to construct the said fortress. The members of the 'Circle were Mordenkainen and his associates--others of my PCs. The latter included Bigby, Yrag the fighter, Rigby the cleric, Zigby the Dwarf, the Elves Vram and Vin, and Felnorith as principles. A number of lesser PCs were associated. #1425

The military of the Citadel was extensive and included a lot of Western horse archers. As I haven't had opportunity to play on such a scale for many years, I would assume that the number of troops has shrunk considerably--attrition, settling down to civilian occupations, or leaving for active service elsewhere.
If the appeallants convinced Mordenkainen and his seven fellows that the attack upon their lands was a danger to the stability of the region, he would likely have agreed to assist against the invaders. Of course the cost of feeding the army from the Obsidian Citadel would have been rather onerous on the lands they traveled through, and some looting and pillaging would have occurred by an army of some 10,000 cavalry and such infantry as were deemed necessary... #5131

Rigby

When I was playing I usually took along my own cleric, Rigby, sometimes playing him as my main PC and not merely a tag-along henchman. To me playing a cleric is more enhoyable that playing a straight fighter #1931

Slidell of Fax

That said, a 10th level magic-user PC of mine, one Slidell of Fax was part of a large party exploring a lower level of Ernie's dungeons when the majority of the young players had their PCs cavorting loudly at the end of a long passage as they were smashing through the wall there. Slidell withdrew back up the corridorsome 70 feet, entered an empty room there, and seriously contemplated sending a lightning bolt into the racous agglomeration to silence them. Alex's character retreated with mine, and he urged that Slidell let'em have it. As I considered that such an act would ruin their enjoyment of the game, I refrained...but avoided playing with that group thereafter [11]

Half-Orc Assasin

As a matter of fact, there were not many well-played thieves, assassins, or rangers in the group that Rob and I DMed. My own half-orc cleric/assassin (heh) met an untimely but well-deserved end before doing anything remarkable. #4473

To be rounded in my playing experience for a brief time I played a NE cleric assassin PC with a group of all evil characters. He died and his body was looted and left, so that ended that. #6460

Indeed, as I was drafting the PHB, one of the group had a gnome PC. As for half-orcs, yes to that too, including my own half-orc cleric assassin. The other half-orc PCs in out party let him bite the bullet, though, because he was too likely to become dominant. [35]

Barbarian

We had one cavalier, a couple of barbarians, and one thief-actobat ex post facto... I actually worked up a barbarian just to use as an annoyance factor when playing with a group that had greedy mages in it. Of course I made sure to have a goodly number of sympatico PCS around to avoid undue retribution for his destruction of "stinking magic!" #870

It was me who loved to play a barbarian and disconcert the players with characters who desired magical items... #1250

When I played a barbarian, I would indeed atempt to get at newly discovered magic items and rid the world of their bane, and if some mage was foolish enough to flaunt such an object before the character, and he could lay hands on it, then... Because the barbarian was otherwise cooperative and put the overall interest of the party first, he survived quite a number of adventures, and his demise was not at the hands of a fellow PC. Some monster got him--which I don't recall, but it seems to me it was a basilisk. No cleric or mage in the group was much interested in having the poor chap returned to life #878

Curley Greenleaf

Curley Greenleaf went the way of many a PC...his CRS was misplaced or lost, so he is in limbo, has been for over 20 years now. Chert, Gellor, and company were creations of mine for purposes of story telling. The elf, Melf, was a PC played by my son Luke...who resented my duping him for the scene with Keek, that I played out. #8017

Curley Greenleaf made it to 7th level druid. I have lost his CRS though [35]

Snurri Sharpnose

The gnome illusionist/thief is named Snurri "Sharpnose." He had a good deal of enjoyment swiping the gains pocked by a halfling magic-user/thief played by my youngest son Alex. (Durned if I can recall Alex's PC's name, and he isn't here to ask. Probably the character sheet is lost after several years of non-use.)
Other than that, the two were active in some rural adventures and thwarted many the vile plans of marauding humanoids and humans as well. #2649

My last-created PC is a gnome illusionist/thief, but he is only of 3rd level and hasn't been played in many years now #4473

I don't recall the names of several PCs of mine that lost their lives early in their adventuring career. My two main mid-level PCs are Nigby and Slidell of Fax. My lowest level PC is Snurre Shaprnose, a gnome illusionist-thief of around 4th level (I seem to have lost his CRS). [35]

[References: see Greyhawk References]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions & Answers from a year of Role-Playing Games Stack Exchange

I spent a year of spare time asking and answering questions on Role Playing Games Stack Exchange.  You can filter for my most upvoted questi...